On Friday, Jan. 15, many Seattle Parks and Recreation facilities will be closed for a staff furlough. Most City of Seattle employees will take 10 days of unpaid furlough in 2010 as a result of budget cuts.
To minimize impacts on our customers, Seattle Parks and Recreation will close most facilities one Friday a month, which is our lowest attendance day. There will be no furlough closures in July and August.
The following facilities will be closed on Friday, January 15:
- Community Centers (child care and late night programs will still operate).
- Indoor pools (there will be an impact on Seattle Public Schools programs unless they are able to pay for staff during their programs).
- Small craft facilities.
- Environmental Learning Centers at Camp Long, Carkeek Park, and Discovery Park .
- Amy Yee Tennis Center (will be open for drop-in play and limited lessons only).
- Langston Hughes Performing Arts Center
Also, there will be no park maintenance staff in the parks, and Lifelong Recreation will not have any programming.
For more a complete list of closure dates: http://parkways.seattle.gov/2009/12/17/202/