Seattle Parks and Recreation staff have been busy preparing for the potential for snowfall. In the event of severe weather, we attempt to open facilities to provide a safe and warm space for community members to gather, connect with others, and participate in drop-in recreation activities.
Many of our community centers, teen life centers, pools, and environmental learning centers operate on a reduced schedule during severe weather events with limited programming. Community members are encouraged to stop by open facilities to take part in a variety of drop-in recreation activities, such as basketball, fitness rooms, tot activities in tot rooms and gyms, and more. Please call individual facilities for information on what’s available.
During snow events, our nearly 500 parks remain open, unless otherwise indicated. If there is enough snow cover, we also open our four golf courses for snow play and sledding, and most athletic fields will also be opened for non-motorized winter recreation. We encourage all visitors to use caution in our outdoor spaces. Snow and ice can cause tree branches to snap; please stay out from under trees and avoid forested parks during a snow event.
Please see below for Seattle Parks and Recreation snow procedures for facilities and programs, and please check our Parks and Recreation website and or Parkways Blog for updates about program cancellations and facility closures. You can also find regular updates on our Twitter page.
Citywide winter weather response: Please click here for information from the City of Seattle and the Seattle Department of Transportation about the City’s Winter Weather Response.
IF SEATTLE PUBLIC SCHOOLS ARE CLOSED:
- We will attempt to open all community centers, teen life centers, and environmental centers from 11am-3pm as warming centers and for drop-in recreation activity only.
- We will attempt to open all pools from 12-3pm for drop-in swim only.
- Small Craft Centers will be closed.
- In the case staff cannot get in to open a facility, we will make updates on the website and social media listed below under General Updates and on the individual Facility’s outgoing voicemail message.
- ALL programs are CANCELLED at our community centers, pools, small craft centers, teen life centers, environmental centers. This includes School Age Care, preschool, Late Night Recreation Programs, lifelong recreation, specialized programs, athletics, and all recreation programs.
- ALL rentals are CANCELLED.
IF SEATTLE PUBLIC SCHOOLS OPEN LATE:
- All facilities will attempt to operate normal operating hours
- ALL Lifelong Recreation Programs are CANCELLED.
- All Before School Programs are CANCELLED.
- All Morning Preschool Programs are CANCELLED.
- PM Preschool and School Age Care programs operate as normal.
- All-Day Preschool has a late start (start time TBD).
- All Early Morning Lap Swims are CANCELLED.
- All morning swim lessons are CANCELLED.
- All other programs will take place as scheduled, unless individual facilities decide to cancel and notify participants.
IF SEATTLE PUBLIC SCHOOLS ARE RELEASED EARLY:
- The Superintendent may determine that facilities will close early in order for staff to get home safely.
- Afternoon preschool programs School Age Care programs may be cancelled or have early pick up.
- Other recreation programs may be cancelled if inclement weather is predicted.
FOR INCLEMENT WEATHER ON THE WEEKEND:
- Please refer to the resources listed below for updates on programs and facilities.
Resources for More Information and Updates:
- Child Care Hotline (School Age Care and Preschool): (206) 684-4203
- Youth Athletics: http://www.teamsideline.com/seattle
- Questions about potential refunds, reductions, and waivers in the event of severe weather? Please see here for details on our policies, or contact your local community center/pool.
- Seattle Parks and Recreation Website: www.seattle.gov/parks
- Seattle Parks and Recreation Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/SeattleParksandRecreation/
- Seattle Parks and Recreation on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SeattleParks
- Public Service Announcements made by the media about Seattle Public Schools or Seattle Parks and Recreation closures
- Facility Voicemails: Please call your community center or pool for updates on their outgoing voicemail message
- Facility Facebook Pages