After the wettest winter in recent Seattle history, we’re sure you and your four-legged best friend are itching to get outside! We have 14 off-leash dog parks where Fido can run free. Dogs in parks, however, must always be on leash and dogs are prohibited, even on leash, on beaches, in play areas, on athletic fields, and in ponds, fountains or streams.
Animal Control officers are charged with providing a safe, healthy and caring environment where animals and people can co-exist. To carry out their mission, Animal Control staff help to educate dog owners and actively enforce Seattle’s leash, scoop and license laws. Officers patrol in Seattle parks to ensure the safe and appropriate use of both the off-leash and on-leash areas. Fines for off-leash, license and scooping violations range from $50 to $150, and can be $500 at a beach.
To report violations, call Animal Control at 206-386-7387.
Dogs are not allowed at organized athletic fields, beaches, or children’s play areas in Seattle parks, per the Seattle Municipal Code. Outside of off-leash areas, dogs must be on a leash at all times.
- You must leash your dog when it is outside the off-leash area; you must carry a leash for each dog while you are inside the off-leash area (SMC 9.25) and (SMC 18.12.080).
- You are liable for damage or injury inflicted by your dog(s) (SMC 18.12.080).
- You must be in control of your dog(s) at all times (SMC 18.12.080).
- You must muzzle dogs that exhibit dangerous or aggressive behavior; biting, fighting, and excessive barking are not allowed (SMC 9.25).
- You must clean up after your dog(s) and deposit feces in the containers at the site, and you must visibly carry scoop equipment (SMC 9.25) and (SMC 18.12.080).
- You must closely supervise young children.
- Bring food into off-leash areas at your own risk.
- Leave bicycles outside off-leash area.
- Unattended dogs are not allowed in off-leash areas.
- Female dogs in heat are not allowed in off-leash areas (SMC 9.25).
- Puppies younger than four months of age are not allowed in off-leash areas.
- Dogs must be licensed and vaccinated to visit off-least areas (SMC 9.25) and (SMC 18.12.080).
- Pinch or choke collars must be removed in off-leash areas.
If you see unattended dogs or other rule violations should call Animal Control at 206-386-7387.