Seattle Parks and Recreation invites the Rainier Beach community to join in the final event at the Rainier Beach Community Center and Pool on December 18, 2010 from noon – 3 p.m.
The facility, located at 8825 Rainier Ave. S, will close the following day until spring 2013, when a new community center and pool will open at the same location, funded by revenues from General Obligation Bonds and real estate excise taxes.
The afternoon will feature music from Kimball and the Fugitives with Stickshift Annie memory book signing, light refreshments, and face painting. There will be a free public swim from 2:30 – 3:30 p.m. Everyone is encouraged to wear their Rainier Beach shirts.
“We are celebrating the community and the memories we have of this place,” says Martha Winther, Rainier Beach Community Center Coordinator. “We encourage everyone to come commemorate the past and celebrate the coming of the new facility.”
There will be information about the new building and about the relocating of some of the classes and services. Some normal Rainier Beach Community Center activities that have been relocated to neighboring facilities or other community centers are listed below:
- Late Night recreation program, Rainier Beach High School, 8815 Seward Park Ave. S
- Late Night in summer, Pritchard Beach Bathhouse, 8400 55th Ave. S
- Before and after school care, Hutchinson Community Center 5801 S Pilgrim St. (pending receipt of a Certificate of Occupancy)
Lifelong Recreation walking group will link up with another Rainier Valley walking group
- Youth basketball will move to Rainier Community Center, 4600 38th Ave. S, and Van Asselt Community Center, 2820 S Myrtle St
- Youth track will practice at Rainier Beach High School
- Computer room will move to the Ethiopian church (tentative)
- Adult aerobics (fee-based) will move to Van Asselt Community Center, 2820 S Myrtle St
- Youth and teen Karate/Hip Hop (fee-based) will move to Rainier Community Center, 4600 38th Ave S
- Adult Hip Hop (fee-based) will move to Rainier Community Center, 4600 38th Ave. S
- Youth Orchestra will move to Northwest Tap Connection at 8732 Rainier Ave S
- Aquatics programs will move to Medgar Evers Pool, 500 23rd Ave, and Southwest Pool, 2801 SW Thistle St. We are referring swimmers to their lesson programs and swims
- The Christmas Ship visit will take place at Pritchard Beach, 8400 55th Ave. S, and the staff at Jefferson Community Center will provide support
“The Rainier Beach Community Center and Pool plays an integral role in this neighborhood,” said Acting Parks Superintendent Christopher Williams. “We know that closing the building will cause some inconvenience to our customers, and we appreciate your patience and support while we work to build a brand new center and pool for the Rainier Beach community.”
During the design process, Parks worked with the community to develop the best plan for the community. Parks held four community meetings over the last year to gather input and get community feedback as to which design options work best for Rainier Beach. Together the community, A•R•C Architects, and Parks developed the design for this project.
For more information, please visit http://seattle.gov/parks/projects/rainier_beach_cc/ . For more information on the event, please contact Martha Winther at the center, Martha.email@example.com or 386-1925.
For information about Rainier Beach Community Center activities after the closure, please call 206-684-4075.
# # #