On Saturday, August 28, Seattle Parks and Recreation will host Big Day of Play at Magnuson Park, from 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.
The day will begin with a 5K Fun Run/Walk, followed by a Free Kids’ 1K Run for children 10 and under. To register for the Fun Run/Walk, visit the registration website.
The Main Stage schedule for the day is as follows:
- 10:45 – 11:30 a.m.: Recess Monkey
- 11:30 a.m. – 12 noon: Speakers Tracy Taylor from KING TV, former NBA player James Donaldson and City Councilmember Richard Conlin
- 12 noon – 12:30 p.m.: ADEFUA African Dance and Drumming
- 12:30 – 12:50 p.m.: Hawaiian Dance
- 12:50 – 1:10 p.m.: Inspired Child (Step/tap Dance)
- 1:10 – 1:30 p.m.: Capoeira (Brazilian Martial arts)
- 1:30 – 1:50 p.m.: Hip Hop (exhibition) (Zulu nation and elements of Hip Hop)
- 1:50 – 2:20 p.m.: Yata Eritrean Group (exhibition)
- 2:20 – 2:30 p.m.: Tae Kwon Do
- 2:30 – 2:50 p.m.: Pacific North West Drumline
- 2:50 – 3 p.m.: Taekgyeon
- 3 – 3:15 p.m.: Life Long Recreation Line Dancing Group
- 3:15 – 3:40 p.m.: Sterling the International Yo Yo Champion
- 3:40 – 4 p.m.: Zumba (demo)
- 4 – 4:40 p.m. Southeast Seattle Community Youth Orchestra
There will be fun activity booths throughout the day, free food samples from PCC Natural Markets, food and vendor booths, paddling and sailing activities, free raffle prizes and a 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament. To register for the basketball tournament, click here.
There will be free shuttle buses to the event and back again from the following community centers:
- Rainier Beach, 8825 Rainier Ave S
- Rainier, 4600 38th Ave S
- Yelser, 917 E Yesler Way
- Garfield, 2323 East Cherry St
- South Park, 8319 8th Ave S
- Southwest, 2801 SW Thistle St
- Delridge, 4501 Delridge Way SW
To learn more about the event, visit: http://www.seattle.gov/parks/healthyparks/big_day.htm
Big Day of Play is sponsored by PCC Natural Markets.