The Big Day of Play is a celebration of our city’s diversity, and it encourages neighbors, communities and families to have fun, build relationships and be active together. Research shows that adults can improve brain function, relieve stress and improve their connection to others by taking part in active play. But with busy lives being what they are, few people make time for it. Luckily, Seattle Parks and Recreation (SPR) has dedicated a day to play, and the whole family is invited. This year’s annual Big Day of Play takes place Aug. 13. The day to play your way!
Mark your calendar for noon to 6 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 13, to see what SPR and other community organizations are offering in the way of fun activities and healthy food. This year’s event will be held at Rainier Community Center and Playfield, 4600 38th Ave. S.
Big Day of Play offers exciting obstacle course inflatables, a rock climbing wall, cultural music and dance presentations, dance workshops, and sport exhibitions for all ages! Discover the athlete in you while enjoying the sounds, smells and foods from a range of communities. There will also be a life-jacket giveaway, and photo opportunities with a sailboat! If you need a quiet space to reflect, meditate or relax, we will have a Contemplation Room available in the Community Center.
The Big Day of Play is presented by SPR’s Get Moving Initiative, which supports local groups in offering innovative and culturally relevant events and projects to increase participation in community sports, recreation and physical fitness activities that serve under-resourced communities. Funding for the Get Moving Initiative is provided by the Seattle Park District.
The Big Day of Play’s title sponsor is PCC Natural Markets. Other sponsors include the City of Seattle, the Associated Recreation Council, Clif Kid, Seattle Children’s, ParentMap, Seahawks Play60 and Seattle Storm. Big Day of Play is also happening in conjunction with Seattle Summer Parkways and Rainier Valley Heritage Parade and Festival.
If you’re interested in volunteering or participating as a vendor at Big Day of Play, please visit www.bigdayofplay.com.
Free transportation will be available from 10 of our community centers to and from Big Day of Play. Call one of these locations to reserve a spot by August 10. Seating is limited.
- Bitter Lake Community Center, 206-684-7524, 13035 Linden Ave. N 98133
- High Point Community Center, 206-684-7422, 6920 34th Ave. SW 98126
- International District Chinatown Community Center, 206-233-0042, 719 8th Ave. S 98104
- Magnuson Community Center, 206-684-7026, 7110 62nd Ave. NE 98115
- Northgate Community Center, 206-386-4283, 10510 5th Ave. NE 98125
- South Park Community Center, 206-684-7451, 8319 8th Ave. S 98108
- Yesler Community Center, 206-386-1245, 917 E Yesler Way 98122
- Jefferson Community Center, 206-684-7481, 3801 Beacon Ave. S 98108
- Rainier Beach Community Center, 206-386-1925, 8825 Rainier Ave. S 98118
- Van Asselt Community Center, 206-386-1921, 2820 S Myrtle St. 98108
More information can be found at bigdayofplay.com and also on the event’s Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Big-Day-of-Play-129511957070291/.